UMKC Jazz Camp
UMKC Jazz Camp
Steeped in the rich jazz history of Kansas City, the UMKC Jazz Camp brings world-renowned performers and jazz educators to Kansas City to work with talented young instrumentalists ages 12 and up. Jazz Camp co-directors Bobby Watson and Dan Thomas and distinguished clinicians provide insight and inspiration to student combos in a welcoming environment. Participants form lasting friendships as they delve deep into jazz in intensive combo rehearsals and coaching sessions. Daily master classes with Jazz Camp faculty, theory and improvisation classes, and frequent faculty performances provide a well-rounded experience that touches on all aspects of jazz performance and history. Jazz Camp participants improve technical and improvisational skills, and aural acuity while studying the standards of the past and new, innovative literature. All instruments are welcome. The UMKC Jazz Camp concludes with a public performance by the student combos.
- Bobby Watson, Co-Director; William D. and Mary Grant / Missouri Professor of Jazz Studies, UMKC Conservatory of Music and Dance
- Dan Thomas, Co-Director; Assistant Director of Jazz Studies, UMKC Conservatory of Music and Dance
Tuition includes all classes and scheduled events during the camp. Please note that this fee does not include meals or housing. All registrations must be received by May 30, 2014
- Early Bird Tuition: $320 Available to participants who register and pay in full by April 11, 2014
- Full Tuition: $350
- On-Campus Housing: $140 Participants who choose to stay on campus will be housed (double occupancy) in a UMKC residence hall for 4 nights (Check-in June 22, Check-out June 26). This fee includes bed linens, towels, and daily breakfast.
- On-Campus parking permit: $20 This will allow participants to park in any UMKC Student Parking Lot. Parking is limited on campus, so a permit is strongly encouraged for those who will be bringing a car. Advance parking permits must be purchased May 30, 2014. After this date, parking permits may be purchased by visiting the UMKC Parking office.
- Secure Wireless Internet Access: $30 UMKC Residence Halls are equipped with secure internet access; this fee will provide each guest with a password to obtain this access. Campus-wide internet access is available to all at no cost to all participants, but is not accessible in the residence halls.
All registration fees must be received by May 30, 2014
We do not offer refunds for our summer programs. All fees and deposits are non-refundable.
How to register:
Registration will be available in January 2014. Online registration will be available through our website, and hard copy registration forms will also be available to download, print, and mail.
Questions? Contact us!
UMKC Jazz Camp - UMKC Community Music and Dance Academy - Julie Koch, Coordinator
Mail: UMKC Jazz Camp / 301 E 51st St, Room 201 / Kansas City, MO 64110
Phone: (816) 235-2741
Fax: (816) 235-5998
UMKC Jazz Camp calendar: