Midwest Honor Band and Orchestra Festival
Midwest Honor Band and Orchestra Festival: February 14-16, 2014
The annual Midwest Honor Band and Orchestra Festival provides rewarding music experiences for middle and high school band and orchestra students and directors. Nationally recognized guest conductors and UMKC faculty host a full schedule of concerts, master classes, and professional clinics, offering in-service time and personal growth.
The festival is hosted by UMKC Conservatory faculty members Steven D. Davis and Joseph Parisi.
This year’s festival will be in a NEW location! The 2014 Midwest Honor Band and Orchestra Festival will be held at the Westin Hotel in Kansas City's Crown Center. As one of Kansas City's premier hotels, the Westin will be a perfect place to host not only our students, but also all of our rehearsals and performances. The team at the Westin has been very helpful in accommodating our growing festival, and we look forward to the opportunities that this new venue will bring!
Our list of accepted students is now available! Congratulations to all accepted students, and thank you to all directors for sending us your nominations!
Dates and deadlines for this year’s Festival
- Nominations close: November 15, 2013
- Acceptance list posted: November 20, 2013
- Registration for accepted students opens: November 21, 2013
- Deadline to register: January 14, 2014
- Festival dates: February 14-16, 2014
- All program events will take place at the Westin Crown Center (1 E Pershing Rd Kansas City, MO 64108)
- Tuition: $179 (includes all rehearsals and performances, two nights in the Westin Crown Center, two breakfasts, and one honor band t-shirt)
Schedule of program events
Detailed schedules will be available in November
Friday, February 14
Program check-in: 12pm-4pm (individual check-in times TBA)
Evening events will include program orientation, an opening concert by UMKC Conservatory ensembles, and rehearsals
Saturday, February 15
Events will include rehearsals and a UMKC Conservatory Bands concert
Sunday, February 16
Events will include rehearsals and a final concert performance for each ensemble. Finale Concert times will be available in November.
2014 Festival Clinicians
- Robert Carnochan, Director of the Longhorn Band, Associate Director of Bands and Associate Professor of Music, University of Texas at Austin
- Jamie Nix, Director of Wind Ensemble Activities and Associate Professor of Music, Columbus State University Schwob School of Music
- Damon Talley, Director of Bands and Associate Professor of Music, Shenandoah Conservatory
Be sure to visit our FAQs page; many of your questions may be answered there!
Have a question you don't see answered on the website? Contact us:
UMKC Midwest Honor Band and Orchestra Festival / 301 E 51st St, Room 201 / Kansas City, MO / 64112
Coordinator: Julie Koch - email@example.com - 816-235-2741
Check out Midwest Honor Band and Orchestra Festival on Facebook!
Midwest Honor Band and Orchestra Festival calendar: