Information for participants
In a few weeks, registered students will recieve an emailed information packet with details regarding check-in times and schedules. Other details students may be interested in are listed below. If you have any questions about Festival details not listed here, you may find the answers on our FAQs page.
Festival Registration: Registration may be completed online or by mail. Written permissions are required on our registration documents, so we cannot take registrations by mail. Forms and information can be found on our Registration page.
All Midwest Honor Band and Orchestra participants are required to play an audition when they arrive at the Festival. The results of this audition will determine which ensemble each participant will be placed in.
Auditions for woodwind, brass, and string players will consist of two parts:
- Scales: Each participant will be asked to play up to three major scales, selected from the following: C, G, D, A, F, Bb, Eb, and Ab. 9th-12th Grade participants may also be asked to play a chromatic scale. Memorization is encouraged, but not required.
- Prepared piece: Please choose a piece that showcases your musical and technical skills. This piece should be no longer than 2 minutes in length, and may be a stand-alone piece or a movement/section of a longer piece. Please be prepared to play without accompaniment.
Percussionists should please be prepared to audition for each of the following percussion areas:
- Snare Drum: Sight-read a short piece and perform these three rudiments: 1) Double stroke rolll 2) Flam Accent 3) Drag (Ruff) These rudiments are to be played in an open-close-open or fast-slow-fast rudimental presentation. (Examples can be found here if needed)
- Keyboard Percussion: Sight-read a short piece and perform three scales of your choice from the following list: C, G, D, A, F, Bb, Eb, and Ab.
- Timpani: Sight-read a short piece and perform a simple tuning test (high school auditions only)
All auditions will take place at the Westin Hotel.
The Westin is located in a great place - the hotel is just steps away from the Crown Center shops! These shops include a food court with over 20 restaurant options that offer many different types of food, including sandwiches, salads, pizza, burgers, and more. Information about available restaurants can be found on the Crown Center website.
To allow each student the most flexibility in their food choices, we will not be offering a meal plan for lunch or dinner. Instead, students will need to bring money to purchase their own lunch and dinner. There are many low-cost options available, and students should be able to eat for under $10 per meal. Students are also welcome to bring their own food for lunches and dinners; rooms at the Westin are equipped with mini-refrigerators.
Breakfast is included in the registration fee and will be provided by Einstein Brothers bagels. Each student will receive a breakfast box that will include a bagel, fruit cup, banana, yogurt, granola & cream cheese.
Students will be eating all meals in the food court seating area and will be supervised by Midwest Honor Band and Orchestra Festival staff. Students must stay with the group during mealtimes, and will not be permitted to eat elsewhere.
Parking at the Westin is available at a cost of $16 per day (self-park) or $21 per day (valet). Parking is not included in the cost of registration. We recommend that parents or guardians drop participants off at the hotel to avoid the cost of parking fees.